Asbury United Methodist Church began in June, 1986 with 4 adults, 2 children, and the vision of its founding pastor, Rev. Mitchell Williams. The first worship service was held on Sunday, November 23, 1986 with 110 adults and 38 children in attendance. Charter Sunday was May 17, 1987 and at that time it officially became Asbury United Methodist Church. The presiding bishop of the North Alabama Conference at that time was Bishop Lloyd Knox. The church was named in honor of Francis Asbury, who came to America in 1771 and became the first Methodist Bishop in America. During its 23 year history, the church has been served by the following Senior Ministers: Rev. Mitchell Williams, Rev. James Bassham, Rev. Barbara Harper, Dr. Mike Harper, Dr. Mark Lacey, and currently Rev. Dr. Kip Laxson. Associate pastors have included Rev. Debra Timmons-Toney, Rev. Janice Watts, Rev. Jamie Barkley, Rev. Joy Morgan, Dr. Michael Burgess, and currently Rev. Kelsey Grissom.
The church began meeting in the Key-Royal building in 1986. In 1988, the congregation worshipped in the Cahaba United Methodist Church while its first new building off Hwy 119 and 280 was being completed. In less than 2 years time, the church had outgrown its new facility. Explosive growth during this time was the norm for Asbury. The church then bought a 31-acre tract of land across Hwy 280 on Hwy 119 and began construction of its current facility. Phase 1 of the current facility included the Sanctuary and education space and was completed in June, 1994. Phase 2 included the Christian Life Center and additional education space and was completed in August, 2000.
Currently the membership of Asbury is just under 2,200 with an average worship attendance of 1250.