Co-Director of Student Ministry
Asbury United Methodist Church’s mission is to remain challenged and equipped to grow more disciples for Jesus Christ by practicing the following:
- Radical Hospitality
- Passionate Worship
- Intentional Faith Development
- Risk-Taking Mission and Service
- Extravagant Generosity
Asbury Family Ministry welcomes, accepts and serves those seeking to grow together in Christ, creating a faith that lasts as we worship, grow and serve.
- Authentic: We believe in being sincere in our relationships with God and our neighbor while striving to create environments where intentional faith development can meet people where they are.
- Grace Filled: We believe in practicing radical hospitality by welcoming others with open hearts, open minds and open doors.
- Christ Focused: We believe in passionate worship and it begins with making Jesus the center of our lives.
Service: We believe in intergenerational, risk-taking missions which invite us outside of our comfort zones.
- Giving: We believe in extravagant generosity where we give freely of our prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness.
- Equipping Parents: We believe the home is the primary place of spiritual influence so we partner with families to help pass down faith by providing resources and encouragement.
Responsibility begins with co-leading the ministry team in support of the Asbury RESET Student Ministry purpose and vision. This position replaces a “Director of Student Ministry” position with the intent to have “co-directors”, implementing a team approach, working with middle school, high school, college students, their families and equipping volunteers. Emphasis is placed on being in ministry with staff, volunteers and student leaders so as to ensure that Asbury RESET Student Ministry builds dynamic ministries that will reach and disciple all students.
This individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An undergraduate degree and youth ministry experience is required.
- Be a committed follower of Jesus Christ, seeking to know, love and serve God.
- Understand, exemplify and champion the church’s mission and vision, as well as the theology and traditions of the United Methodist Church.
- Work effectively with people of all ages, having a heart for youth and a desire to connect with them and facilitate their spiritual growth in all aspects of their lives.
- Possess effective communication skills — including one-on-one counseling, small group discussions, and speaking to and leading large groups.
- Demonstrate flexibility, creativity, dependability, high motivation and self-direction .
- Be a servant leader and role model, having fun with the youth, but always the “adult.”
- Demonstrate the ability to teach youth and adults.
- Possess skills for developing adult volunteers into youth leaders through training, delegation and follow-up.
- Successfully completed an undergraduate degree.
- In conjunction with the Co-Director of Student Ministry, develop and implement the comprehensive ministry for youth grades 6-12 and college students, in keeping with the Mission and Vision of Asbury RESET Student Ministry.
- This includes, but is not limited to: establishing a regular work schedule, attending meetings, researching and evaluating curriculum, developing plans for evangelism/marketing and follow-up of first time guests, conducting one-on-one counseling sessions, handling youth ministry logistics as they relate to facilities, and seeking various opportunities to connect and converse with teenagers and their families.
- Oversee, direct and implement the Middle School and/or High School youth ministry of Asbury RESET Student Ministry. This includes implementing weekly meetings, developing volunteer leaders to assist with various aspects of this program, preparing and managing the budget components for this ministry, and organizing various programs targeting students.
- Work cooperatively with the Co-Director of Youth Ministry, lead and offer support to trips for students.
- Communicate, translate and connect the student ministry to the rest of the church, and the rest of the church to the student ministry; including working cooperatively with all other Asbury ministry areas and staff.
- Connect the student ministry with the larger church and world through mission and service, camps and retreats, and other events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Compensation, Benefits, Support:
- Salary: commensurate with credentials, training and experience
- Health and pension benefit package provided
- Continuing education and professional expense
- Office with computer and network accessibility
- Clerical support
- Accountable to the Pastor of Family Formation, and Staff Parish Relations Committee
- Annual Evaluation by the Pastor of Family Formation and SPRC
Send Resume To:
Rev. Robert Mercer Asbury UMC
6690 Cahaba Valley Rd. Birmingham, AL 35242