We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul.Hebrews 6:19
Anchor Community Respite Ministry provides fellowship and stimulation to people who are living with memory loss due to dementia or stroke. Anchor operates every Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
A typical day at Anchor is structured in the following way:
- 10-10:30 am: Arrival, Coffee, Socialization, Table Time (puzzles, word searches)
- 10:30-11:00 am: Physical Fitness (balloon volleyball, bowling, chair yoga)
- 11:00-11:30am: Lemonade & Brain Fitness (trivia, brainstorming, creative writing)
- 11:30am-Noon: Activities/Games (guest speakers, bingo, wheel of fortune)
- Noon-12:30pm: Family-Style Meal (lunch and dessert)
- 12:30-1:00pm: Physical Fitness (stretching, dancing)
- 1-1:30pm: Art (painting, coloring, crafting)
- 1:30-2pm: Music (singing, guest musical performances)
Participants and volunteers are also served lunch.
The program gives care partners a break each week to run errands, visit with friends, and rest. Care partners can participate in a monthly support group (which meets the first and third Thursday of each month) to share ideas and concerns with other care partners, as well as learn more from memory loss professionals. Care partners are invited to call and schedule a tour of the Respite Care Center prior to enrollment.
“We want this program to be an anchor for caregivers and their loved ones everywhere, offering hope, support and stability,”Maggie Dunaway, Congregational Care Director
How to Enroll
To qualify, participants must be able to:
- Walk without assistance or with the assistance of a cane or walker
- Attend to restroom needs unassisted
- Participate in social activities
- Feed themselves
We require a completed medical examination from the participant’s physician and a list of current medications. Call 205.529.6353 or email Gina McIntyre to ensure eligibility before filling out an enrollment application.
How to Volunteer
You don’t need any special skills to volunteer at Anchor, just a willingness to love and be a friend! Volunteer opportunities include:
- Set-up and/or clean-up
- Serve as a companion to participants
- Prepare, serve and clean-up lunch
- Perform (i.e. music, drama, dance, storytelling)
- Lead an easy art or craft class
- Organize and maintain activity supplies
- Assist with administrative duties
To volunteer, enroll, or learn more about Anchor Community Respite Ministry, please contact Program Director Gina McIntyre at 205.529.6353 or Congregational Care Director Maggie Dunaway at 205.515.1029.