Over the last 24 hours, there has been a whirlwind of news, information, and announcements regarding public health and safety in light of the Coronavirus. But earlier today, the Alabama Department of Health advised local churches not to hold worship services in an effort to mitigate the spread of the Coronavirus, particularly as the first case of the virus was announced in Alabama this morning.
In light of these recommendations and instruction from the CDC, Alabama Department of Public Health, and our Bishop in the North Alabama Conference, we have developed the following plan for how we will proceed in order to be the best neighbor and community partner possible.
#1. Sunday, March 15 – We will NOT gather for worship, Sunday School, or evening activities this coming Sunday, March 15. This includes Traditions and The Bridge Worship, Sunday School, children and youth activities, or nursery care.
#2. Future Worship – We will continue to monitor the situation closely and evaluate the possibility of resuming regular in-person gatherings as well as other options like online worship. Once decisions are made, we will share that information with you through our website, email, social media, and other available channels of communication.
#3. Wednesday Night Dinner, Midweek Programming and Weekday Ministries – A decision will be made and announced on Monday.
#4. CASA Day School – CASA will continue to follow the Shelby County School system calendar throughout this event. As long as area schools are open, CASA will be open and have their usual hours.
#5. Church Office Hours – At this point, our church staff will continue to have regular office hours Monday through Friday. As your family navigates this uncertain time, please contact a member of our staff if we can be of any assistance. We can be reached at 205.995.1700.
As always, our goal is to make the best possible decisions to serve God, our community, and ensure the health and safety of everyone in the Asbury Family. In the coming days, we ask you to continue to be the hands and feet of Christ. Be positive, supportive forces in the community, helping one another through this difficult time. Specifically, we ask you to do the following:
- Pray daily for:
- those personally affected by severe illness caused by this virus and medical professionals treating them;
- sound judgement for all making decisions to minimize the spread of the virus; and
- individuals and businesses whose work and economic well-being are adversely impacted by the virus.
- Do your part to protect yourself and others around you by taking the necessary precautions as recommended by the CDC and Alabama Department of Health.
- Stay connected with family, friends, small group members, etc. during this time. If you know of someone who may not have internet access, give them a call and share information in this email with them.
- Remember this is temporary. We hope to return to our normal schedule as soon as possible. In the coming days, our staff will be exploring ways for you to continue to be the mission-driven church Asbury has been for decades.
- Check back to asburyonline.org/health for updates and more information on this evolving situation.